Monday, January 7, 2013

Time To Be Positive

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

I think most people are familiar with this quote (attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt). Lately I've been feeling ridiculed and torn down by some of the people that are closest to me and every time, these words replay in my mind. We really are in control of how we let ourselves feel. Granted, there will be times of feeling down and out, it's only natural. At the end of the day, we alone are the ones responsible for our own happiness.

After talking things over with Mitch the other night, he reminded me that I don't have to take crap from people. I am a grown woman who has overcome a lot of things and I need to stand my ground and at the end of the day, he will be there supporting me. Everyone has a past and has made mistakes. Some mistakes we've learned from and some we're still working on changing. It's life. It's no one's place to constantly remind you of your flaws nor do they have the right to constantly penalize or bring up your "failures" or what you've done wrong. It amazes me that no matter how much good you've done, that one bad choice will always seem to outweigh it all. 

I recently made the decision to create boundaries. If someone crosses a line, I will let them know (nicely, of course). I am almost 25, it's time to be treated as such. Another thing that I've started doing in order to keep positive is a Gratitude Journal. Every night before I go to bed, I write one sentence stating 1 thing from that day that I'm really thankful for or 1 good memory from the day. It will be neat to look back at the end of the year or even a few years down the road and see all of the good things of the year. 

So with that being said, remain positive. Usually we are our own worst critics.. give yourself a break and ignore the judgmental people of the world. They're usually picking at you to avoid looking at themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment